Monday, February 28, 2011

How To Cancel Facebook SMS Subscription For CELCOM Users

A few weeks ago I was tricked by Facebook into a SMS subscription. During the login stage, I was led to believe that giving my cellphone number to them would improve the security of my FB account. They however did not make it clear that this would be a SMS Subscription and that the subscription would be auto-renewed at one Ringgit (RM1) every week. Ok, so RM1 seems a small amount but small can add up to a big sum. Besides, I or like anybody else would like to be clearly informed upfront if we were to be charged for something beforehand. But that FB did not do but rather they were pretty sneaky about it.

For a few weeks after that I didn't know how to cancel the damn subscription. Finally I found the answer on someone's Facebook discussions. So here is how to cancel the Facebook SMS Subscription for CELCOM users:

SMS Text: STOP FB
Send to: 32665

Note the text to send need not be uppercase.

After you have the sent the text, you will receive the following reply just as I did:

"RM0 Your Facebook SMS subscription has been dectivated. To subscribe again text F and send 32665. Thank you."

I recalled just feeling so relief when I saw that deactivation message. All in all, never mind the few ringgit I've lost, I'm just quite surprised that Facebook of all people would resort to such cheap tactics to gain some revenue. Shame on them.

3 comments:

cikpisangmontel said...

Thank you so much! I was wondering the same thing and thankfully I found your post here.

M said...

Hi how if I've send but have not received the msg on my subcription is being canceled ?

Anonymous said...

haha... all those 'stop' things were no longer working. these capitalists never allow you to disconnect their services via phones.to stop all thse services, you just need to remove your phone numbers from your facebook (those assholes will never tell you that).